Hey friends! This past weekend Atticus and I went to Vail, CO for Valentine’s Day. He had a 4-Day weekend (the military will do that for their soldiers on holidays – giving them Friday & Monday off) so we decided to spend it skiing. Living in Colorado Springs, there are about 5 different slopes that we could go to within a few hours of our house. Since A leaves for the deployment soon we just decided to go big and go to Vail. It was worth every penny, let me tell you. It was BEAUTIFUL. Besides seeing snow covered Evergreen trees the entire drive up (one of my favorite things), the town of Vail is so quaint and precious that you fall in love immediately.

Atticus grew up snowboarding, but we don’t own any gear ourself so we just rented some equipment in the Springs because it’s about 1/8 of the price than in Vail. We got our gear on Friday morning and hit the road. We first stopped in Denver to visit with his cousins who were in town for a job interview. Btw, I LOVE Denver – it’s probably my favorite city in Colorado. We grabbed some burgers and milkshakes and caught up on life with them which was a great time.



After Denver, we began the 3 hour drive to Vail. The traffic wasn’t great, but driving through the Front Range is always beautiful so we just took it slow and enjoyed the scenery. After checking into the hotel and grabbing a quick meal, we zonked out prepping for the long day on the slopes the next day.

The next morning A and I got up early (we can’t sleep past 5:30 no matter what), walked around the village looking for breakfast only to find out to that no place opens before 7:30. Booooooooooo. Ah well, we ended up back in our hotel for breakfast. The slopes opened at 8:30 and you better believe we were one of the first on the gondola. The rest of the day was spent shredding the slopes – and by shredding I mean doing the pizza the entire way down the bunny slopes – hah! A is actually pretty good at snowboarding – but I’m way to scared to go fast down hills that I take forever and he’s constantly waiting on me at the bottom. Oh well, we had a great time and were left exhausted by the end of the day. My boots were also WAY too small (my fault) and my feet were dying by the afternoon that we called it early around 3 and just went back to our room to shower and get ready for dinner. We end up eating at Blue Moose Pizza and it was DELICIOUS. They make Gluten Free pizza too so it was perfect for us. We came back to our lodge, watched a little tv, and were asleep in minutes.

The next morning I was going to tough it out and try to ski a little even though my feet were killing me. We finish one run down the slope and I said I wasn’t getting back on the gondola. Hah. He did one more run and didn’t want to keep going without me, so we just hung around the town the rest of the day. There are so many shops that you could really spend a week just walking into each store. We were ready to take our boots off and relax – which is exactly what we did.¬†Starbucks’ Salted Caramel Hot Chocolates¬†helped us get through the colddd snowy weather that day. A found a pretty good restaurant for dinner that night called Bully Ranch Restaurant. We were missing Magnolia pretty bad since we left her at a Kennel during the weekend that we decided to get up early Monday morning and hit the road so we could see her. We did just that and got back to the Springs around 10 am. She was the MOST excited to see us as were we to see her. The weekend was definitely the best we’ve had here in the Springs, if only we could have taken our baby girl with us. Maybe next time we’ll try to get a lodge that allows dogs – because she would LOVE all that snow.

2016-02-14 16.33.19